Monday, September 24, 2007

The line edit is complete!

While I was typing my blog on Tuesday my publisher was sending me my edited manuscript. It took exactly two weeks and two days for my line edit. When I took a close look at the manuscript and all the instructions to go to the words view, toolbar, review, tools, track, changes, accept, or reject I became a little overwhelmed. My whole low-tech being immediately went into overload and shut down. I have never clicked on these words before. They are at the top of the screen. I only used tools before to check my spelling.
It took me a whole day to settle down. Every page was filled with red lines pointing out grammar mistakes. I did not even know that I was so grammatically ignorant! I started to wonder if I was the only one who was lacking in this area so every time I came upon a friend I questioned them about their knowledge of dangling participles, sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and past perfect tense. And in my circle of friends not one knew what I was talking about. They just gave me a blank look and said, “What?” I guess out there somewhere people will be bothered by my dangling participles along with my editors so I will make the corrections. Especially when my book is a best seller and I’m a famous author I guess I want to be grammatically correct. I just hope they don’t want me to be correct in other areas. I thank it’s a little late for me to go to charm school.
This editor also felt that I was a little harsh on Tom and wanted me to portray him as a little more charming. I already sprinkled the book with some of Tom’s charm when the evaluation made this same suggestion, but apparently not enough. So this was the hold up of my editing and getting back to my blog I was painstakingly trying to sprinkle some of Tom’s charm throughout the book again. They don’t understand that finding Tom’s charm is like finding a needle in a haystack!
Tom said I could push one button and accept the changes instead of addressing one at a time after I addressed the comments by the line editor. Thank goodness!
Today I am grateful that Tom has a room full of the latest high-tech gadgets. He has the latest technology in computers and knows how to use all the programs. I devoted a whole chapter to Tom and his gadgets in my book. Technology is another area where Tom and I are complete opposites. He has to be on the cutting-edge-of-high-technology and I am as low as I can go in technology.
To anyone out there reading my blog who cares about dangling participles and the such, I apologize! I am overwhelmed in the grammatically correct area. I tried but there are too many rules! I will leave that to my editors.



Liz is conquering Grammar!
Liz is defeated by Grammar!
Liz has left the building!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post... Looks like flash memory is finally beginning to become more popular. Hopefully we'll start seeing a drop in SSD prices in the near future. 5 dollar 32 gigabyte SDs for your Nintendo DS flash card... imagine that!

(Submitted using OperaMod for R4i Nintendo DS.)

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.