Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Big Day Finally Arrived!


Maureen and Liz at the book signing. The Cartoon Character and Liz.


Preparing for the Book Signing

Friday I took my books to Barnes & Noble and met with the manager. He gave me some pointers on how to greet the customers. He suggested that I approach the customers and introduce myself and say something to the effect, “Hi! I am Liz. I am the author of “Help! I Married a Cartoon Character” and I will be signing books for the next couple of hours. You should really read this book because:” I asked him, “Why?”He said, “You know.” The problem is the book covers so many situations that I don’t know how to describe it in a couple of sentences. However, Maureen’s friends who have read the book say, “We appreciate our husbands more than ever after reading the book.”
I guess I should practice my book pitch before I go to the book signing. I am not good at being spontaneous. I usually think things through before going into a new situation. This is certainly going to be a challenge with all the different personalities I will come in contact with. This new technique is making me step out of my comfort zone. At my other book signings, I just sat and my relatives and friends of course approached me. They knew what the book is about since I have been keeping them posted about the books progress for the last 2 years.

My Experience at the Book Signing

The book signing was a huge success! The area where I signed books had balloons and signs with my name on. I really enjoyed talking to the other self published authors. It was quite an experience approaching the public. I got many different reactions from the people I approached; however most were pleasant. I particularly enjoyed talking to a gentleman who asked questions about my publishing, my style of writing, and which word processor I used to write my book.
The book signing was coming to an end and I still had not sold a book to a complete stranger. All the books I sold were to Maureen’s friends. I thought I sold a book to a stranger in December but it turned out to be my granddaughter’s friend. I didn’t recognize the last name. My book has been out for 4 months and I still have not sold a book to a stranger. Everyone is a relative, a friend of a relative, a friend, or a friend of a friend.
We were getting ready to pack up when the manager came over and asked, “Well! How did you do?” I said, “Okay! But it doesn’t count. Everyone that bought a book from me was a friend of my daughter. I haven’t sold a book to a stranger yet.” He turned and walked over to the counter and picked up the microphone and announced, “The author Liz Lally will be walking around the store with her book. She has not sold a book to a stranger yet so she will be approaching you and explaining to you why you should buy her book.” I was mortified! But my daughter grabbed my arm and said, “Let’s go!” So I picked up a book and started looking for a potential buyer. We came upon a couple gentlemen who didn’t look too threatening. I started giving them my sales pitch and while they were squirming a lady came up behind me and started talking to my daughter so I left the men off the hook and diverted my attention the woman. However, she was interested in a book for her niece’s birthday party. I said, “This is not a children’s book.” Then she said, “My sister is floating around here somewhere and she just said, “I am looking for a book to read this weekend.” So we followed her around looking for her sister. Finally, we found her sister and I gave her my sob story of never selling a book to a stranger and then I gave her my rehearsed sales pitch. She looked at the book and said, “Okay, I’ll buy it!” We all cheered! Than the manager brought over the balloons and took our picture. I took her name and address for when I am famous and go on Oprah. I will invite her to go with me. Since they were having a party that night the manager gave them the balloons for their party.


The first stranger to buy my book.









No comments: